Privacy Parts


I remember when Edward Snowden revealed himself as the “whistleblower” who said the NSA was taking information on United States citizens. I was babysitting my neighbors and watching the news. At first, I didn’t see what the problem was. What could they possibly get from me?

But that is not the issue. It is the invasion of privacy, regardless of who is doing the invading. The US government defended itself by saying it was for the protection of its citizens—especially after 9/11. But they never notified its citizens. And they didn’t limit their information grabbing to just people they suspect of criminal or terrorist activity.

Last time I checked, the majority of Americans aren’t terrorists.

The role of the government is to promote the well-being of its citizens, including its defense. But gathering data on the daily spousal phone call, or text between friends is not defending the nation. No, it is a violation of the very basic rights of humans listed in the Constitution. Freedom of speech, and privacy.

To what extent does the government have control? It seems that since World War II the US government has looked for holes in which to stick its nose in to “benefit” the people. Yet, it seems to be in opposition to what the Founding Fathers had in mind when they revolted against the tyranny of Britain. My, my, how far we’ve come.

I wonder what would Benny Franklin say to the NSA?
Related image

Comments